marketing / website design
When to consider a WordPress Multisite
More and more, we are seeing clients with the requirement for a multisite set-up. As businesses and brands diversify, they need to fully represent their business interests online. It is also crucial to maintain an easy experience for internal users or admins whilst keeping maintenance costs under control. A WordPress multisite ticks the boxes.
WHAT IS A WORDPRESS MULTISITE?
Simply put, a WordPress Multisite allows you to create a network of websites, with their own URLs, all within a single WordPress install. If you’ve ever started your very own blog via WordPress then you are already part of a massive 300mil + install multisite machine.
WHY WOULD I WANT ONE OF THEM?
If you have a group of related businesses with one overall brand identity, similar functionality requirements, common plugins and one overall manager (a super admin) then a WordPress Multisite may be for you. However, if you use a multisite set up when it’s not right for your business, it will be a headache in the future for everyone concerned – so seriously consider your options before going down this road.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF A WORDPRESS MULTISITE
- A single hosting cost
- One lot of framework/security & plugin updates
- Central control via super admin access
- Protecting your asset and keeping some control over your brand within a franchise arrangement
- Global businesses that require a number of sites with regional requirements
A WORDPRESS MULTISITE IN USE
Courvoisier needed a network of sites to satisfy their global markets.
Sites within the multisite network can be tailored to meet regional requirements. An example of this aside from language can be SEO specific to search behaviour in any given country. The commonality is the structure, look/feel, functionality of each site.
- A WordPress Multisite is not for you if you think that your contenders are going to have very different design or functionality requirements in the future.
- Check that your hosting can handle what you are about to do.
- Understand admin permissions. Once you create a WordPress Multisite, the super admin is born. This user can:
- Manage the access and level of responsibility of all users on all sites on your network
- Manage network and site features including access to plugins, themes and privacy settings
- Create new users and new sites
- Edit posts, pages, comments on any site without being added as a user to the site
- Reset passwords and change users’ profile details
- Access all the super admin menu items via the Network Admin dashboard Read more here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/introduction-to-super-admin-user/
WHAT’S THE ALTERNATIVE
If you don’t want to relinquish your freedom to treat every site under your umbrella as an individual, then perhaps investing in tools to help you manage your site portfolio more effectively is a better fit. We love Manage-WP. This is a WordPress management dashboard that allows you to administer multiple sites from a user-friendly dashboard. Functions like a one-click framework & plugin updates, security scans and client reporting all make this a time-saving and productivity-boosting godsend. https://managewp.com/ Regardless of your site structure requirements, we always suggest that you really take time to consider your brief and ask your chosen agency some pretty direct questions before embarking on a web build project.
IT'S TIME: CHRISTMAS MARKETING CHECKLIST!marketingWith everything that has happened in the world this year, perhaps one element of hope some are holding onto is the festive period. However, as any marketer can tell you, it’s not that simple. From about Black...
Bring wrapped in Red tape doesn’t mean you have to be boring with your marketing. Click to read three examples of industries that have a lot of compliance who are nailing creativity.
In previous weeks we have looked at ways to scale up and adapt quickly, and how businesses are becoming more value-driven in its messaging. This week we are going to take a look at the beautiful world of collaboration and communities.