marketing / PR
Work on your personal brand and become a thought leader
That is a lot of buzz words in one neat blog title. But in short, you, your career, how you communicate, present yourself and go about your business all shape your personal brand. In turn, the more you put yourself and your views with regards to business and industry out there, the more you will become a thought leader.
WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE SURE THAT I CREATE A POSITIVE PERSONAL BRAND?
Five quick tips…
- A picture speaks a thousand words… get your headshots done. LinkedIn has stated that a profile with a professional headshot is 14 x more likely to be viewed.
- The devil is in the detail. Ensure that any written content that you put out is easy to read, accurate and free from grammatical errors. Grammarly is your friend.
- Be authentic. Not everything you write or communicate has to be specifically related to your business. In recent years I have commented in the national press, on the radio about work-life balance and running an SME. As a result, I was asked to speak on a panel at The Telegraph Festival of Business about work-life-balance. Was it directly related to my business and could I sell from it? No… was it great exposure for my ‘personal brand’ and in turn The Typeface Group? Absolutely.
- Be social. Another opportunity to show your professional brand is on social media. Be helpful, engage, add a comment and don’t be afraid to have an opinion. Leave a positive digital footprint that mixes professional and personal opinion/insight, this will be searched, and first impressions count.
- Get out there. Go to industry and big business events, speak with confidence and again be authentic. Most of all don’t forget your business cards (I am the world’s worst for this).
Your personal activity has more of an impact on your business than you give yourself credit for.
What can you do to support ‘personal brands’ within the workplace?
- Brand guidelines are clear, understood and to hand at all times
- Corporate identity is adhered to
- Content is readily available
- Training is offered
What’s this about thought leadership?
- Get in the press
- Have a consistent & KNOWLEDGEABLE social media presence
- Put yourself forward for opinion pieces
- Book some public speaking/ Keynote speeches
- Attend big industry events and impart your newfound knowledge
Get yourself out there. Be Authentic. Be consistent.
So here’s the challenge.
If you want to put yourself forward for editorial comment and features...
Bring wrapped in Red tape doesn’t mean you have to be boring with your marketing. Click to read three examples of industries that have a lot of compliance who are nailing creativity.
In previous weeks we have looked at ways to scale up and adapt quickly, and how businesses are becoming more value-driven in its messaging. This week we are going to take a look at the beautiful world of collaboration and communities.
The importance of blogging marketing / content For a business to stay seen, trusted and in the loop in the marketing world it needs fresh and interesting content. Having a blog is essential to any website as well as keeping it up to date with unique content. Having...
Our TFG 2 Minute reads are just a click away!
Get bi-weekly-ish snippets of easy to digest, useful marketing emails to your inbox.